RBKweb
 OM RBKweb
 ANNONSEINFORMASJON
 RSS-KANAL
 ARKIV
 TA KONTAKT
SØK I ARTIKLER
Debattforum

Alle kan lese innleggene, men man må registrere seg for å delta aktivt i diskusjonene.
Everyone can read the posts, but you have to register before writing your own posts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatistikkStatistikk   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MLS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
julegrisen
Rutinert

PostPosted: 05.09.2009 02:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

attach wrote:
Julegrisen wrote:
In the TL the average is around 9000 attendendences this year

Hm, 9000 is still one of the best attendances in Europe compared to the population even though the support has declined this year.

Thats´s almost right , but none of the Norwegian teams has reached Europeen league-matches this year, and you could almost talk about the Norwegian TL as a failure in quality. Nevertheless the crowd is coming to watch bad footballgames each weekend. It´s almost like the adventure of the "King with the new clothes" by HC. Andersen.....
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 05.09.2009 06:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorac wrote:
Thanks for the answer, fireman.

I've always thought it looks kind of strange playing soccer on a football pitch (to use you American's terms Smile). What's your impression of the reactions to this? Do people care, and does it influence attendence?

Most soccer fans here don't like playing on a field lined for American football field (the grid iron), worse though are Field Turf surfaces that are lined for the grid iron.

However, since some teams share their stadiums with NFL or NCAA (college football) teams, then it's unavoidable. Thankfully the grid iron season doesn't overlap too much with soccer season.

The Field Turf vs. natural grass issue is debated here too . . . for all outdoor ball sports. Everyone prefers grass (players and fans). Currently 4 MLS teams play on Field Turf (NY, New England, Seattle and Toronto). Next year NY moves into Red Bull Arena with a grass pitch.

Seattle and New England's majority owners also own the local NFL teams that operate the stadiums the teams play in respectively - so no change is expected to those fields. Toronto is a weird scenario; they occupy a soccer stadium the city built and the team operates, but the city wanted Field Turf for year round use. TFC is trying to change that.

[/img]
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 05.09.2009 06:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

attach wrote:
Zorac wrote:
Here in Norway we have the never ending natural vs. artificial grass discussion, but I imagine playing soccer in stadiums built for other purposes (at least for the top leagues) would be an even bigger issue.

By the way, does someone play on a football field with artificial grass in the MLS?

If you're asking about a soccer pitch, then yes.

I mentioned above that Toronto (TFC) has a soccer specific stadium the city built and the team operates. The city put in Field Turf so the stadium can be used year round. Pretty stupid in my opinion and TFC is trying to work with the city to change the pitch to grass.

All other teams with their own soccer stadiums, and all new soccer stadiums being built, have natural grass.

Montreal is a heavy rumor to be the 19th team to join MLS (2012) and they have a brand new soccer stadium they and the local government built with a natural grass field. If Montreal, Chicago, Columbus, Salt Lake and Colorado can maintain natural grass during their severe winters, so can Toronto.

Last edited by Fireman451 on 05.09.2009 06:43; edited 1 time in total
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 05.09.2009 06:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

hefffner wrote:
Hey Fireman

Seattle Sounders had those open tryouts last year.. Do you know who won, and if so, how he's performing for the team? My guess is that he's not a regular in the startup, and that this was more of a promotion scheme made by the Sounders..

Not a wild guess though! Very Happy

I forget the person who won the spot, but they were cut shortly after.

Seattle is a model franchise for soccer in MLS. The owners comprise of a Microsoft Exec who also owns the Seattle Seahawks NFL team and operates the stadium; a movie director, the old second division Seattle Sounders president (who is also the new club's General Manager) and Drew Carey.

The team runs itslef very much like a European club with fans voting on the General Manager every 2 years, they've 100% of their seats to season ticket holders (30,000) and to add an American twist, they have a marching band that marches from a local pub with the supporters into the stadium!

Before Sounders FC joined MLS, Seattle was a second division team (also named Seattle Sounders) that had a heated rivalry with two of their closest foes, Portland Timbers & Vancouver Whitecaps. They always had a three city competition called the Pacific Northwest Cascadia Cup.

Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps were announced as the 17th and 18th MLS expansion teams entering 2011. The Cascadia Cup will be revived again in 2011 and it will add some heavily desired rivalries to the league.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 05.09.2009 07:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you come to Chicago during our season, I'll make sure you get a ticket to the game and enjoy some FIRE soccer at Toyota Park.

BUT . . . if you go, you'll have to show up with me and my tailgate team to drink and eat until you can't anymore! We get to the parking lot 4 hours before kickoff, set up our area right in front of the main stadium entrance and drink beer/whiskey/various adult beverages and eat grill up some food until we need to enter the stadium. Needless to say, we can be pretty sauced before we walk in. Confused

Here's my grill! I'm usually stationed there until all the meat, veggies or other food items are finished. My friends feed me beer to keep me motivated and cooled off!

Last edited by Fireman451 on 05.09.2009 17:35; edited 1 time in total
Hedning
Legende

PostPosted: 05.09.2009 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks absolutely fabulous. I'll be sure too look for the red partytent and grill if ever in Chicago. You Americans really know how to barbeq.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 09.11.2009 06:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire advance to Eastern Conference Finals after beating the Revs 3-2 in aggregate!

Eastern Final: FIRE v. Real Salt Lake

Western Final: LA Galaxy v. Houston

Winner of each match above play in MLS Cup 2009.

We had a great standing room only game this Saturday night against the Revs (over 21,000 fans).

Here are some pics of the crowd!

http://www.flickr.com/sec...on8chicago
Øystein
Veteran

PostPosted: 09.11.2009 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures! Smile
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 14.11.2009 06:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston Dynamo v. LA Galaxy kickoff right now on ESPN.

For those who can't get the game on your local cable/satellite offering, try the online links:

www.atdhe.net or www.channelsurfing.net

The Chicago FIRE v. Real Salt Lake game will be on Fox Soccer Channel and the above web links.
Bakklandia
Legende

PostPosted: 14.11.2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Fireman, maybe you know what one of my favorite players of all time, Eddie Pope, does today?

For me it's a mystery why he never got the change to play in Europe.
Kjetil Rekdal
Veteran

PostPosted: 14.11.2009 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, Dynamo should have won.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 16.11.2009 03:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted . . . .
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 18.11.2009 06:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even though the Fire couldn't win the Eastern Final after 120 minutes and extra PK's, the supporters did a great job.

Here are some photos and a video of the tifo Saturday night:

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/wa...r_embedded

Best of luck to RSL this weekend, I'd love to see the LA Hype Machine go down.
2mas
Sjef

PostPosted: 19.11.2009 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik Solér is to become Red Bulls' Sporting Director?
Keenoir
Legende

PostPosted: 19.11.2009 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, I was wondering if you possibly could know of any right wingers in MLS that possibly could strenghten Rosenborg's first team?
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 19.11.2009 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would be intersting to see if RBNY hires Soler and . That club is opening the absolute best soccer stadium in the US next year and they need to field a competitive team that is deserving of such a beautiful facility. Their work is definitely cut out for them.

In regards to MLS right wingers, there are a couple of real good players who are out of contract that are getting some interest from Euro clubs and one player that is out of your reach for sure.

Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo) is a US international player that will most likely be called up for WC2010. Creative, fast, young and has experience in big games (WC qualifying, Olympics, etc). Stuart has already stated he's on his way to Europe and he'll get offers for sure, so he's gone.

Marco Pappa (Chicago Fire) is a Guatemalan international and his loan with Chicago is up this December. The Fire will probably try to buy his contract out from the club that owns him, CSD Municipal (Guatemala), but I'm pretty sure Municipal will accept the highest offer for Marco. Marco is also very young, WC qualifying experience and has received interest abroad.

Other good right wing players are still under MLS contracts and their respective clubs probably will have no interst in selling them.

The guy who will be available but is TOTALLY out of your reach is this guy . . . .

If he wants to leave LA (where he's from and loves to live), he'll be going to a big time Euro club/league for millions of dollars.
Keenoir
Legende

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 00:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landon Donovan has tried himself in Europe before with no luck and that will scare many clubs from taking him on. Stuart Holden to me look like a very intresting prospect, "This is anfield" has suggested him to me before in a diffrent thread. Was you saying that his contract was up? If so somebody should inform Hoftun because this look like a coup. Rosenborg should have heard of him after Torbjørnsen our former scout have been scouting the US market early this year.

I'm amazed how Solèr could be getting such a job after the mess he left his former club in (IK Start ), there must be better candidates.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 04:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keenoir wrote:
Landon Donovan has tried himself in Europe before with no luck and that will scare many clubs from taking him on.

No disrespect, but you couldn't be more wrong and you don't really know very much about Landon Donovan's previous and brief Euro experience.

Quote:
Here's the history lesson:

Donovan's Euro experience consists of being signed by Bayern Leverkusen at 17 years of age for their youth academy. He wasn't good enough to make the first team at the ripe old age of 19 years of age and Bayern decided to lend him out to cover some of his contract. Well that interest came from MLS (San Jose Earthquakes) where in his 4 years he won 2 MLS Championships.

When the loan was up he returned for the latter half of Bayern's season and played a handful of games, not sure he even started any. When the 2005 season ended, he was 22 and thought it was best for him to play at home where he was comfortable. Leverkusen agreed to release him from his contract, which didn't stop Portsmouth from trying to sign him before he left for the states by the way. History lesson over.

Landon is by far the best American player we have produced without exception. If Landon plays as well in WC2010 as he did in WCQ and at the FIFA Confederations Cup he'll easily get offers from big league clubs; and to think that his teenage experience with Leverkusen will keep teams from taking interest in the very best American player is laughable.

So, to reiterate my earlier point, RBK, much less any Scandinavian or equally smaller Euro League, have zero chance of signing Landy Cakes.

Keenoir
Legende

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landon Donovan went to Bayern Munich last year and they did not seen to keen to aquire Donovan services for a longer periode of time. He has become 27 years old and for the top clubs in europe he has to had showed more to be very intresting. You're young prospects have so far failed to leave a lasting impression in european fotball ( Altidore, Adu and Johnson ), there is noe american superstars in fotball at the moment and there are not really any good candidates that I know of.

I do not think by any means that Landon Donovan is a realistic prospect for Rosenborg ,but i do not think Landon Donovan is a realistic prospect for the Barcelona, Manchester United, Real Madrid's of this world either.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Landon will not go to the clubs you named, but if he goes to Europe he will go to one of those leagues for sure (EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga). Though I wouldn't be surprised if he went to France (I don't think that league is among the best however).

I don't expect you or anyone here to have that much knowledge of MLS and its players (as I clearly do not have regarding Tippeliga), and as a result, your point of view on this issue isn't anywhere near well rounded.

1) Landon was invited to train with Bayern Munich and the Galaxy loaned him out until March 2009, similar to the Beckham deal LA made with AC Milan.

2) The LA Galaxy made it clear they were NOT going to sell Landon or Becks. LA had a huge investment in Landy & Becks and if sold they would've been impossible to replace with similar quality and/or commercial value players. It simply was not going to happen (mind you players that are A] already in MLS or B] willing to come to MLS).

3) Landon scored a few goals, made a few assists in Munich's friendlies and generally played well. Look up the stats for yourself.

4) Beckham is again being loaned to AC Milan and I wouldn't be surprised if Donovan goes to Europe to train too. But unlike last year, the Galaxy may not have all the cards if Landy wants to stay.

Now let me tell you what I think Tippeliga should do to be more competitive and produce better players for their next World Cup hopes so they can defeat world powerhouses like Iceland and Macedonia. . . . . just kidding! Cool
Keenoir
Legende

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The french league is probably about the quality of the bundesliga which then again is close to Serie A in quality. The best leagues in my opinion is La Liga followed closely by Premier League. When you look at this years CL the french teams has done very vell for them self. I read up on Donovan and your correct that did perform well in trainingmatches against weak oponents ,but when it came to the competetiv matches he did not produce the goods.

When it comes to the tippeliga we have produced some good talents for the greater leagues such as Jon Obi Mikel ( Chelsea ), Edu ( Hoffenheim ), Carew ( Aston Villa ), Pedersen ( Blackburn ), Tettey ( Rennes ), Braaten ( Toulouse ), Grindheim ( Heerenveen ) etc. which are mostly decent players in quite decent clubs. I do not think MLS track record is that much better if it is better.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keenoir wrote:
I do not think MLS track record is that much better if it is better.

It is not better by any means.

MLS is 13 year old league and working it's way up in quality since inception. However, MLS has helped produce a strong national side with most players either having played or playing in the league. Without MLS, the USNT would have never made every World Cup since we hosted it in 1994.

MLS iseasily behind all the top Euro leagues in quality and quantity of good players for sure, and also behind the second divisions of England, Spain, Italy, Germany and maybe France. But if you take out the top 1 or 2 teams in all the midsize Euro leagues (SPL, Tippe, Belgium, Poland, Austria, etc), MLS is probably on par and could at least compete . . . which is not bad for a single entity league with a $2.5 million salary cap per team.

MLS, and soccer in general are gaining popularity in the US, but still many, many years away from having the kind of money and commercial support that the NFL, MLB, NBA and college American football & Basketball have. At least the MLS isn't stupid like the NHL which has a $40 million salary cap per team with a shrinking commercial base ever decreasing fan base (hockey is dying a slow death).
Keenoir
Legende

PostPosted: 20.11.2009 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not every MLS team have a finite number of players excepted from the salary cap? I think you underestimate the quality of the french league they have several decent teams that performs reasonably well in the european cups more so than the German clubs, at the moment. When it comes to the WC qualification you are playing in the CONCAF group and there is really only one team that can be a serious contender to your national team at that is Mexico, so it would be very poor perfomance for your national side not to reach the WC.
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 21.11.2009 07:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keenoir wrote:
When it comes to the WC qualification you are playing in the CONCAF group and there is really only one team that can be a serious contender to your national team at that is Mexico, so it would be very poor perfomance for your national side not to reach the WC.

Kind of like Norway's poor performance in a very weak Group 9???

Your team wouldn't have made it out of Concacaf for fuck's sake!Laughing

I love your sense of humor, please don't stop . . . Mr. Green
Fireman451
Senior

PostPosted: 23.11.2009 07:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks who does it again in PK's after 120 minutes of play . . .

Real Salt Lake beat the top two teams in the Eastern Conference to get to MLS Cup and then beat the top team in the Western Conference to win the championship.

RSL earned their title for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> English forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Utviklet av phpBB. Tilrettelagt for RBKweb.

ANNONSE
SITATET
© 1999-2024 RBKweb